The Computer Champions are a group of pupils from Years 3 to 6 who look after IT resources and also E-Safety within the school. They plan ‘Safer Internet Day’ activities and ensure that each class is up to date with their E-Safety learning. The group also monitor the school website to ensure it is current.
Almost all communication devices can now access the internet including mobile phones and games consoles.
Good communication between you and your children is crucial to keeping them safe.
Some ideas for keeping your children safe
- Supervise children’s time on the internet. Make this easy by placing the computer somewhere in the house where you can see what they are doing.
- Start as you mean to go on… when children are first bought mobile devices such as tablets introduce a ‘Family Media Agreement’.
- Make sure your children feel confident about telling you if they have accessed something inappropriate by accident.
- Set parental locks on browsers to minimise risks.
- Ask your children what they are using the computer for – find out as much as possible about what they do when they are on the computer and make suggestions for more useful ways to spend their time.
- If you are concerned about what they are accessing then look at the internet history.